Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Not been in the best of health lately, so I haven't been on pc so much, but I have read quite a bit. Since last time I blogged here I have read another 5 books. Clicking on the titles takes you straight to an author link for the particular book.

Eve Green by Susan Fletcher.
I enjoyed this book imensely, was a little disappointed that the mystery of Rosie's disappearance is not answered, but found although the abduction gave the story more meaning, it didn't have to be solved in this case.

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman.
I had this on pre-order, and received it as soon as it was released. On the back of the book it says in gold lettering " This is a STORY." Part of the myths series from Canongate. As with all of Pullman's novels it makes the reader think about what they are reading. No doubt there will be some people offended by his version, but as is clearly stated on the back cover, it's a story, and as a story, and part of the myth series should be taken as just that, just another take on a particular myth. I loved it, but I am a big fan of Philip Pullman's work.

Ritual by Mo Hayder.
I'd bought this, and the next at Asda on their 2 for £7 deal. It was the only one that appealed to me in any way to buy with the next book listed.
However, the book is very engrossing, and one of the main characters belongs to a branch of the Police force that is often over looked, the main male character DI Jack Caffery seems to be a maverick who gets results. I will look for other books by Mo Hayder having read this one.

The Point of Rescue by Sophie Hannah.
This was a definite in the deal I mentioned above. I have previously read Hurting Distance by Sophie Hannah and thoroughly enjoyed it.

"Sally is watching the news with her husband when she hears a name she ought not to recognise: Mark Bretherick."
That line has the reader hooked, how does she know him, why shouldn't she know the name, why does it worry her? You can click on the link to find out more, but believe me, if you like mysteries, and have read other books by the same author, this one is worth reading.
I read Bad Moon Rising by the same author, enjoyed it, so picked this one. I do enjoy a good mystery, especially if it has a little menace in it, this has it. DI Lorraine Hunt is dealing with several case that all seem unconnected, but slowly and surely the links become apparent, and the net closes on a particularly nasty person. If this was a film you'd be sat on the edge of your seat. I don't know if there are any plans to televise or make into film, but I would definitely watch either. Quigley builds the suspense expertly...and I was almost cheering the police on as the novel closed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home