Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Big catch-up

I haven't blogged here for ages, and there's a huge pile of books that I've read.
For ease I'm just going to name the books and give a 1-5 star rating, and maybe a short comment.
Dark Alchemy Anthology of fantasy stories including stories from Garth Nix, Eoin Colfer and Neil Gaiman. 3 *. I lost interest towards the end of this anthology, but the first few are very good.
The Host by Stephanie Meyer 5*. Meyer's first adult novel, worth ploughing through the first few chapters...then it all makes sense.
The Witches Trinity by Erica Mailman, 4*. Set in Germany in the time of witch-hunting, how one word said at the wrong time can change a whole life.
The Three Evangelists by Fred Vargas. 5*. I love Vargas' novels, this one starts off with a curious occurrence, and ends up a murder investigation.
Scapegallows by Carol Birch. 4*. I didn't realise that this was based on true life when I bought it. Very engaging read.
Brief Gaudy Hour by Margaret Campbell Barnes. 4*. My friend sent me this from the USA, I read all Campbell Barnes' other books when I was expecting Samantha, my 24 year old daughter. This is about Ann Boyelyn, but told from her point of view, which makes the story intruging.
Divine Comedies by Tom Holt. 5*. It's Tom Holt, one of my favourite authors, do I need to see more?
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. 4*. I really enjoyed this book about Thomas Cromwell, but I do now of people who have found it difficult to read.
Life, liberty and the pursuit of sausages by Tom Holt. 5*. This is Holt's latest novel and every bit as enjoyable as all his others. If you like of the wall humour coupled with exploration of "other dimensions" try one of Holt's books.
Company of Liars by Karen Maitland. 5*. Set in 1348, follows a mismatched bunch of people trying to outrun the plague. Very engaging book.
The Suspicions of Mr Witcher by Kate Summerscale. 4*. The book is much better than the recent dramatisation shown on TV.
Revelation by C J Sansom. 5*. Another Tudor mystery featuring Matthew Shardlake.
The Mythago Cycle by Robert Holdstock. 4*. A fantasy novel, well a pair in one book actually.
Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Septys. 5* . This book is based on a true story. It is very moving and had me in tears.
Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott. 4*. Along the lines of Jodi Picoult's writing with a similar what if theme.
Blood Harvest by S J Bolton. 5*. As good as her two previous books, Sacrifice and Awakening.
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. 4*. I seem to have had a run of picking up stories based on true happenings lately. Alias Grace is another based on true events.
Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell. 5*.
How to paint a dead man by Sarah Hall. 5*. A novel told from 4 different viewpoints which seem unconnected at first, but gradually all are drawn together.
Empress by Karen Miller. 4*. A really good fantasy novel, but the heroine in this novel is not very likeable, well, not for me as she is very self-centred and will let nothing stand in her way, no matter who or what.
Poppy Shakespeare by Claire Allan. 5*. A novel about the "mentally ill" viewed from within. Very funny and touching.
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. 4*-5*. This is the author's own life story, or part of it, written as a novel. A huge compelling book. (933 pages)
And I've saved a couple by another of my favourite author's until last.
The Last Dragonslayer is a children's novel by Jasper Fforde, which is about exactly what the title says. A brilliant children's book from Fforde. 5*
One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde. 5*. Typical Fforde , with the return of Thursday Next. All I can say is if you like comedy writing and have a lively sense of humour, give Fforde a try.

I do find some books not so good, but to be honest, I don't normally buy ones that I would give a poor rating to. Although I did get one,you know the one's that someone on TV says is good, and it gets a lot of hype, and you seccumb and buy it. I bought one of those. I ended up dumping it in the bathroom, and about 18 months since I left it there, it is eventually finished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home