Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I decided to read this as there has just been a film released based on the book.
The book is very descriptive in parts, and I can see how this would translate into film, saying that, it would probably cut out a lot of the story itself, and make for a short film. However the latter parts of the book where one of the characters has internal dialogue with himself, may possibly be better on film. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know.

Anyway, the blurb from the back of the book.

On the hottest day of the summer of 1934, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis sees her sister strip off her clothes and plunge into the fountain in the garden of their coutry house. Watching her is Robbie Turner, her childhood friend who, like Cecilia, has recently come down from Cambridge.

By the end of the day the lives of all three will have changed forever. Robbie and Cecilia will have crossed a boundary they had not imagined at its start, and will have become victims of the younger girl's imagination. Briony will have witnessed mysteries, and commited a crime for which she will spend the rest of her life trying to atone.

I thought the book was going to be a slow read, but it soon pulled me in, and ended up sitting up to finish it last night. The blurb is deceptive, as the book is a lot more accesible than I thought it would be.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Dropping in to my favorite blogs to see what everyone is reading!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home